VoIP, short for Voice over IP, is a cloud-based phone system that allows you to make phone calls over the internet.
VoIP has transformed how people communicate, both personally and professionally. By using the internet as a channel for voice calling, VoIP offers a more cost-effective solution for long distance and international calling.
More importantly, VoIP allows users to make calls from anywhere with a broadband connection, without the need for a traditional telephone line.
The benefits of VoIP
There are many reasons why VoIP has become so popular for small and medium-sized organizations in recent years. Here are just a few of the benefits that VoIP can offer:
- Cost savings: VoIP is often more affordable than traditional phone plans, especially for long distance and international calls.
- Increased productivity: VoIP features like call forwarding and voicemail to email can help you stay connected and increase your productivity.
- Mobility: VoIP allows you to make and receive calls from anywhere, as long as you have a reliable internet connection. This is perfect for business users who are always on the go.
- Scalability: VoIP is easily scalable, so it can grow with your business. You can add new users and features as needed, without having to worry about expensive hardware upgrades.
On-Site Vs Hosted VoIP
There are two main types of VoIP systems: on-site VoIP and hosted VoIP.
On-site VoIP refers to a VoIP system that is installed and managed on your company’s premises. This type of system requires you to purchase and install your own VoIP hardware and software.
Hosted VoIP, on the other hand, is a cloud-based VoIP solution that is managed by a third-party provider. With hosted VoIP, you don’t have to worry about purchasing or maintaining any VoIP hardware or software.
What VoIP providers are there in Canada?
There are many VoIP providers in Canada, including companies like Primus, ThinkTel, RingCentral, Ooma, Vonage, and Bell, GoToConnect, 8x8, Five9s, Dialpad, Zoom voice.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to which VoIP provider is the best. What makes sense for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
When considering which VoIP provider to work with, you want to consider these factors:
- How much are you willing to spend on your VoIP service?
- What features are you looking for in a VoIP provider?
- How many employees will be using the VoIP system?
- What are your company’s call volume and long distance calling patterns?
- Will you be using VoIP for personal calls or just for business?
- How important is it to you that your VoIP service is reliable?
- Do you need a VoIP provider that offers 24/7 customer support?
- What is your experience with technology?
- Do you feel comfortable setting up and managing your own VoIP system, or would you prefer to have someone else take care of that for you?
- How important is it to you that your VoIP service is easy to use?
Once you have a good idea of what you need and want from a VoIP provider, you can start to narrow down your options and choose the best provider for your needs.
How can OT Group help?
Here at OT Group we have the expertise and experience to design a cloud-based phone and communication solution that grows with your business.
Whether you are a small to medium-sized business looking to improve your internal collaboration, an education facility looking to consolidate all communication or an insurance firm looking to ramp up call center operations - we will build a cloud-based phone solution that works for you.